Best Vacuum Cleaners for Cat Litter
Some cat litter can be tracked through your house by your cats, especially if you have the non-clumping variety. It can be a hassle to clean up, and it’s made so much easier if you have the right vacuum for the job.
While you could use just about any vacuum, there are certain ones that will be much safer and more effective to use. Not every vacuum can pick up litter successfully and store it away safely without becoming damaged.
That is why we have put together this list of the best vacuums to use for cleaning up cat litter. It is our hope that you will find one of these to be a good choice for you when you are picking out a vacuum to clean up after your cat.
What to Consider before Buying
There are a few things you want to think about before you buy a vacuum for cleaning up litter:
- Use only specialized vacuums– As ThemVacuums.com suggests, it’s best to use a shop vacuum or something else that is made specifically for vacuuming up litter, as the pellets are often harmful to regular vacuums.
- Wet and dry cleanup differ– If the cat litter has become sticky, muddy and wet, then you probably don’t want to use a vacuum to clean it up. Use the right tool for each job to avoid spreading the mess and damaging your equipment.
- Have the right attachments– You need to use only certain attachments when cleaning up dry cat litter. Avoid the brushes (as they can toss litter everywhere) and go for vacuums that have plain floor attachments.
- Change the vacuum rather than changing the litter– This suggestion comes from My-Cat-Furniture.com, and they make a good point that the litter often isn’t the problem if your vacuum isn’t cleaning up the mess your cat leaves behind.
Best Rated Vacuum for Cat Litter
We would like to show you five vacuums that are ideal for cleaning up cat litter. These are our top picks out of everything that is on the market today.
Hoover Vacuum Cleaner WindTunnel 3 Pro Pet
While this is an all-purpose vacuum cleaner, it comes with pet attachments that make it ideal for cleaning up the messes that your pets leave behind. That includes cat litter, and the powerful suction of the Hoover WindTunnel makes for a quick and easy cleanup.
This is rated as one of IHeartCats.com’s best options for litter cleaning, and for good reason. The cord gives you up to 12 feet of cleaning length, and it comes with odor controlling HEPA filters that ensure your vacuum doesn’t smell bad afterwards.
- Fights bad odors
- Powerful vacuuming action
- Designed to clean up cat litter and other pet messes
Hoover Vacuum U6485900
While this is a fairly inexpensive vacuum cleaner and one with powerful suction capabilities, it is hampered by some low-quality parts that may break down sooner than you would like. It does come with lots of attachments, though, and even a height adjustment switch that lets you easily and effectively handle different carpet heights.
It makes for easy, powerful cleaning, but you should not expect all the parts to last you for a very long time. Some of them are very durable and will give you no trouble, but the overheating and sometimes faulty components make for a frustrating purchase. Still, it’s great at cleaning up cat litter, and if that is what you mostly use this vacuum for, then you should be very happy with it.
- Effortless vacuuming due to self-propulsion
- Can be used on any type of carpet
- Lots of attachments
- Powerful suction
- May overheat
- Some parts are not as durable as others and may break down easily
Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum
Dyson’s vacuum is designed for dealing with bacteria and bad smells that are often associated with cat litter. It comes with a HEPA filtration system that eliminates odors and bacteria quickly and decisively so that they are no longer a problem for you.
That’s ideal for litter cleanup, especially since the vacuum is very powerful and can easily pick up the small, hard pellets that your cat may track across the floor. One of the neatest and most useful features is the self-adjusting cleaner head, which works to make the vacuum more effective as you move across multiple types of surfaces.
- Can be used anywhere
- Kills bacteria and gets rid of foul odors
- Can easily pick up litter pellets
- No height adjustment makes this a poor choice for taller carpets
New Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Here is a vacuum that is made from the ground up to be great for cleaning up after your pets. You can control the speed of the vacuuming action to handle any job and to be gentle when necessary. It cleans itself as you use it and provides powerful suction for getting rid of any mess quickly and effectively. The biggest downside to this vacuum is that it costs so much.
You generally have to pay close to $1,000 for it, making it only suitable for people with the right budget. As good as it is, not a lot of people are going to be able to afford it, but if you want something that cleans up after your pets better than the rest of your options, then this New Miele vacuum is the way to go.
- Works incredibly effectively
- Power control lets you set the vacuuming speed and intensity
- Specially designed for pet cleanup
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum
This vacuum is recommended by cat litter experts all over, including HereKitt.com. It is very easy to use and even lets you detach the canister to get those hard-to-reach areas, such as under your couches and beds. The swivel control makes it a dream to operate, as it effortlessly maneuvers where you need it to go.
That’s certainly going to cut down on the frustration of cleaning up after your cats. The brush attachments and other accessories include parts that are specially designed to pick up both pet hair and pet litter, so you should have no problem keeping your house clean, even with multiple cats. The anti-allergen control and HEPA filter make for a very clean vacuuming experience.
- Kills germs and gets rid of allergens
- Incredibly easy to use
- Made for cleaning up pet litter
- A bit more expensive than some of the other options here
Those were or top choices for litter cleaning vacuums, and we hope that you found something here that will help you to make an informed buying decision. Remember not to use your regular vacuum for cleaning up litter, as it can become damaged, but the vacuums listed here are all great for getting rid of litter and staying in great condition while they do it.