Sphynx cats are incredible and very unique animals. They are not only playful, friendly and energetic pets, but they are also great with children and other pets. Sphynx cats make truly adorable pets in spite of their strange appearance.
Ironically, because of their hairless nature, this breed needs more care than most other cats. If you are a huge fan of these lovable naked kitties, you will understand why they need extra care and attention. This is especially true when it comes to picking the right litter for them because some cat litters can irritate your hairless cat’s skin, causing yeast infections or skin sensitivities.
For that reason, we’ve picked out 5 of the best kitty litter that is great for Sphynx cats and is very easy on their skin. This will make your litter choice easier, when shopping for litter for your special Sphynx feline.
- Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter
- Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Clump & Seal Clumping Litter
- Fresh Step Extreme with Febreze Freshness Clumping Cat Litter
- Purina Tidy Cats Light-Weight Clumping Litter for Multiple Cats
- Purina Tidy Cats Light-Weight Clumping Cat Litter
- What you should consider when buying cat litter for your Sphynx
- In Conclusion
Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter
Precious Cat has an impressive range of products which span a wide variety of target audiences and applications. The makers of this cat litter have obviously done their research and have come up with a product that has everyone (especially Sphynx cat owners) raving about it because of its hypo-allergenic properties.
It contains no plant proteins, deodorants or perfumes and is virtually dust-free. This makes it perfect for your naked cat’s sensitive skin. Precious Cat litter is affordable, non-tracking, and has clumping that is definitely some of the best we’ve seen. It can lock in the odor from urine and feces for days. Considering the affordable price, this product gives great value for money.
- Great job locking in odors
- Budget-friendly price
- Caking is an issue as this litter can be overwhelmed by moisture
Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat Clump & Seal Clumping Litter
We’ve come to expect a certain standard from Arm & Hammer as they are one of the oldest and most well-known brands of cat litter – and they didn’t disappoint with this product. They have one of the largest selections of cat litter to choose from, and this particular product is fantastic and definitely does what it claims to be.
Arm & Hammer’s Multi-Cat Clump and Seal stops cat odor in its tracks with strong clumping and odor control that doesn’t have an overpowering cat litter scent. This is particularly great news for Sphynx cat owners because, as anyone who owns one of these lovable four-legged cuddle buddies will tell you, the smell can get pretty bad if you don’t have a great performing cat litter.
- Excellent odor control
- Very little dust
- Affordable price
- Minor tracking
Fresh Step Extreme with Febreze Freshness Clumping Cat Litter
Fresh Step nailed it with a product that clumps well and makes cleaning the litter box very easy. The litter has Febreze incorporated into it, and this helps to keep urine and feces odors at non-detectable levels for days on end.
Owners of Sphynx cats will really appreciate this cat litter for its powerful odor controlling and non-tracking capabilities. No more sneezing cats or dusty cat footprints all over the house. This kitty litter is perfect for your naked cat, and will make the job of cleaning up that much easier for you so you can spend more time with your cat than cleaning up after it (something that your cat will appreciate, because Sphynx cats really do hate to be alone!).
The price is very reasonable, and most users rave about the amazing way in which this cat litter traps and destroys odors. If the endless stream of 5-star reviews of this product is anything to go by, this definitely deserves a spot on our list of favorites.
- Extra long odor control
- Really effective clumping
- Powerful artificial smell
Purina Tidy Cats Light-Weight Clumping Litter for Multiple Cats
This light-weight formula is half the weight of other clumping cat litter and comes at a very affordable price. Judging by the reviews from customers, it performs almost as well as some of its heavier counterparts despite its weight. The fact that it’s designed for round the clock odor control is a definite plus for Sphynx cat owners who are looking for a light-weight litter.
In addition to its constant protection from lingering smells, this litter also has a very low level of dust and won’t irritate your Sphynx cat’s skin. Customers love the price and convenience of this light-weight cat litter, although there are some concerns about its clumping capabilities.
- Lightweight yet performs as well as other, heavier products.
- Powerful odor control
- Affordable price
- Concerns about the level of clumping
- Some tracking reported
Purina Tidy Cats Light-Weight Clumping Cat Litter
This light-weight litter combines the best of two trusted brands to fight odors and leave a fresh fragrance behind. Purina Tidy Cats Light-weight with Glade Tough Odor Solutions locks in moisture leaving your cats dry and comfy while making it easy for you to clean the litter box.
This wonderful feature is great for Sphynx cat owners who need products that will work to erase powerful odors without negatively affecting their hairless cats’ skin, as well as locking in moisture, so that it doesn’t affect your sphynx cat’s delicate skin. According to some happy customers, it forms strong, tight clumps that rival even the best cat litter twice its weight, but some customers also report experiencing minor tracking. This cat litter will continue to perform exceptionally with regular use.
- Fragrant controls odor well
- Clumps well
- Minor tracking
What you should consider when buying cat litter for your Sphynx
With so many types of litter out there, (and a sea of results coming back for a simple online search) choosing the right litter for your Sphynx cat may seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn’t have to be.
The best litter to use for your hairless cat is a large grain, non-perfumed, non-clumping litter. There are a few other important things that you need to consider when buying litter for your Sphynx cats:
1) Dust-free – Sphynx cats tend to have very sensitive respiratory systems, and when you’re buying cat litter for your Sphynx cat, you need to ensure that you get the litter that is low on dust.
2) Clumping vs Non-Clumping – The most noticeable feature of cat litter is whether it clumps when moist or not. Clumping litter is a good choice because it means that you don’t have to change all the litter at once, you can just pick out the hardened urine clumps along with the feces.
3) Odor Control – If you own a Sphynx cat, choosing cat litter with great odor control is definitely a priority. You want one that absorbs odors rather than masks them like most scented litters do. Just remember to keep the litter box clean no matter what scent is coming from it. Sphynx cats have a very sensitive sense of smell, and they will know the box is dirty even though all you smell is the litter’s air freshener.
4) Cost Pricing – This is another important factor to consider before choosing which cat litter to buy for your Sphynx. When comparing cat litter prices, take into account not only the amount of litter (weight, volume) but also how long you can use it. Think about how often you’ll need to change the all of the litter in the box.
5) Refund policy – Choose a product that has a refund policy that is easy and convenient. If you are not satisfied with the product for whatever reason, you should be able to return it for a full refund. Check before buying so that you don’t get stuck with a huge sack of unused cat litter.
As this review has shown, Sphynx cat owners have a lot of options when it comes to buying cat litter – from the simple and conventional lines to the more unique products. There are some important factors to consider like cost, clumping, odor control, scented or not, packaging, and so on. Just remember that even with all those choices to make, the bottom line is, you need to choose the litter that not only works for you but one that your Sphynx cat will love!