Best Cat Litter for Senior Cats
From time to time, your senior cat’s litter box may not smell all that good, and what they leave behind in the litter-box can be very unpleasant to have in your house. This is where Organic and Biodegradable Cat Litter could prove to be super effective. Not all cat litter is going to provide decent odor control, but eco-friendly cat litter does a better job than most cat litters on the market today. We would like to recommend a few natural cat litter products that can help you get those odors under control.
What to Consider before Buying Cat Litter for Senior Cats
There are a few things you should know about buying cat litter before you make your purchase:
- Use attractants– If you are struggling to keep your cat’s interest in the litter box, then using an attractant to draw your cat in might come in handy. No matter what kind of litter you are using, you can use an attractant to get your cat to use the litter box.
- Avoid deodorized or perfumed litter– These kinds of litter, according to PetFinder.com, may be unwelcoming to your cat. You may have to experiment to find something that your cat will be happy with.
- Health and dietary needs– Sometimes, the issue is not the litter or the litterbox, but rather your cats own needs. Regular trips to the vet can help you catch these problems before they become too serious.
- Watch for fragrances- Many cat litter products come with a fragrance that is used to kill unpleasant odors, but your cats may not like the fragrance all that much. You want to do everything you can to keep your cats interested in using the litter box, and that sometimes means using a litter that is not too harsh for their olfactory senses.
Best Rated Cat Litter for Senior Cats
We have picked out the cat litter products that we believe will be the best for you. We hope you find something here that can help you stop bad cat odor and have a pleasant-smelling home.
ökocat Natural Wood Cat Litter, Clumping View On Amazon
This is one cat litter that won’t leave any dust behind and that clumps very well. On top of that, it is something that is safe to flush and that will degrade naturally in the environment. That makes it so easy to deal with. You can either toss it in the toilet, put it in your trash can or simply throw it outside.
The odor control should last you for a week, even if you have multiple cats. The use of natural ingredients also makes this a good choice for sensitive cats and for those cats with health problems that you have to be careful what kind of chemicals you leave around them.
- Incredibly absorbent
- Lengthy odor control
- Rather costly when compared to the competition
Arm & Hammer Naturals, Multi-Cat Litter View On Amazon
If you want something safe and natural for your cat, then Arm & Hammer has designed this cat litter for you. The natural components make for a very pleasant litter that doesn’t leave you with a lot of smells, but it isn’t going to block out odors as well as something with some stronger chemicals in it would.
It also has trouble clumping properly, but it won’t leave a lot of dust, so it may be perfectly agreeable to you and your cat. You will just have to test it out for yourself, and thankfully, Arm & Hammer sells this in a small enough box that you can give it a shot without committing a lot of money to it.
- Uses natural components to block out odors
- Leaves little dust for you to deal with
- Doesn’t block odors as well as some of the competition
- Doesn’t clump as well as many other litters
sWheat Scoop Multi-Cat All-Natural Clumping Cat Litter View On Amazon
This is another natural product that has a lot going for it. It is made from components that should be safe for your cat, even if your cat is allergic to a lot of things or has sensitive smelling. One of the best things about this litter is that it degrades naturally, so you don’t have to worry about it harming the environment, and you can toss it out pretty much anywhere.
- Natural formula
- Clumps well
Feline Pine Cat Litter View On Amazon
Feline Pine Original Litter has created a litter that is designed to destroy the bacteria that causes bad odors among cats. On top of that, it is made with an unscented set of ingredients that will be easy on your cat’s nose. Many cat litter products can be kind of harsh, driving your cat away and keeping it from using the litter box like it is supposed to, but not this one.
The large bag gives you a lot of product, but you will pay quite a bit for it. You’ll probably want to compare it to the other choices to see if it is worth your money. Some customers report that their cat tracks dust through the house when using this litter, since it does not always clump together like it should, but your personal experience may differ.
- 99.9% dust free
- Kills odors quickly
- Unscented to be gentle on your cat’s nose
- Can have trouble clumping sometimes
- More expensive than most of the other options
SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter View On Amazon
This is one of the most value-oriented cat litters available. It’s a massive 20-pound box with hard clumps that won’t leave any dust for your cat to track throughout the house. It’s priced affordably too, which makes it a good deal for cat owners, no matter how many felines are in your home.
Best of all, the odor protection is guaranteed for at least full week, but that can come at a price. How well this one works for you will depend on your cat’s sensibilities, but most consumers are really happy with this purchase.
- Great price and value
- Won’t leave dust behind
- Designed for long-lasting odor protection
- Strong smell that may be unpleasant for you or your cat
We hope our list of best cat litter for senior cats will help you make an educated choice on which cat litter is best for your cats, and that at least one of the cat litter products mentioned in the article does the trick and keeps your cat loving household smelling awesome.