Best Cat Food For Weight Gain
If your cat is not eating like it should or not gaining ample weight no matter what you feed it, then it may be time to change its diet. We are going to show you a few of the best foods that you can feed undernourished and underweight cats and tell you what to look for so that you can find this kind of healthy cat food on your own.
Quick Look: Top 3 Picks
|Brand||ZiwiPeak||Hound & Gatos||Weruva Grain-Free|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
Risks of Low Weight
If your cat is excessively slim, then it is at risk of suffering from a number of medical problems. Your cat may be malnourished, it may suffer from heart disease, and it may become lethargic and lazy. If your cat isn’t getting enough food, then it is not likely to have a lot of energy, which can lead to an inactive lifestyle and to various medical problems.
Other factors such as intestinal disorders, surgery, pregnancy, tumors, cancer and fever are all possible reasons why your cat may not be gaining the weight it should
Be advised that your cat’s weight problem could also be caused by genetic issues, by an inactive lifestyle or by injuries or many types of disease. If you are not sure what’s causing your cat to lose weight, or to not be able to gain weight, you should consult your veterinarian. The sooner you catch the problem, the sooner something can be done about it.
The primary reason for your cat being skinny is because it is not eating its food, and you should pay attention to signs that your cat doesn’t like or doesn’t eat what you give it. Even though there are many possible reasons for your cat not to gain any weight, sometimes the reason is much simpler then you think. Your cat may be eating enough food, but it may not be eating enough of the right food.
You need to understand that your cat is at risk when it is not getting enough good food or not keeping its weight like it should be. For this reason, we brought you some things to look out for, regarding your cat’s diet, as well as some of the best food products on the market today.
What to Consider Before Buying Food for Weight Gain
How you feed your cat and what you feed it factor into how skinny your feline becomes. Here are some things to keep in mind as you shop for your cat:
- Intermittent Calorie Increase- There is some benefit in increasing your cat’s calorie count only intermittently instead of regularly. You may want to keep regular food and bulking food both at hand to try this method out for yourself. Increased caloric intake will sometimes do the trick.
- Natural Content- A part of what contributes to weight loss in cats is their inability to process parts of the food they eat. You can improve that statistic for your cat by feeding it natural food that contains no additives or artificial content. Raw ingredients will definitely help.
- Soft Food- Your cat may be having trouble digesting or eating harder food. This simple problem can be solved by just giving your cat some softer food. Often, senior cats will have trouble chewing. Give them softer food and you will make them happy.
- Nutritional Requirements- Your cat needs a balanced diet, and what that requires will vary depending on the breed of cat you have, its age, its size and its general health. You can always talk to your veterinarian about what your cat requires in order to have a healthy diet.
What to Avoid
It would be unwise to feed certain kinds of food to your cat when it is suffering from low weight or is at risk of malnourishment. These include the following:
- Reduced Fat Foods– It’s easy to buy the wrong kind of cat food if you are not paying attention. Take a look at your cat food’s label and try to avoid anything that says “low-fat” when you are attempting to get your cat to gain weight.
- Excess Carbs- Carbohydrates do not contribute to your cat’s nutrition. A lot of cat food is packed with carbs and not enough healthy fat or protein. Check the content to ensure that your cat gets ample protein in its diet, so that it can gain some weight the healthy way. If you have an older cat, than that increased protein intake is essential for its health Says Feline Nutrition
- Small Portions- You may simply not be putting enough food for your cat, and that can lead to an underweight and malnourished feline. Not all cats are going to complain if they are not getting enough food.
- Allergens- There are a lot of things that cats could be allergic to. It’s hard to say what yours is allergic to until you have it tested, but the most common cat allergens include soy, wheat, dairy and corn. If your cat is allergic to something, then it may not eat it or may not be able to digest it properly, and that can cause excessively low weight. That’s why getting products that are free from such allergens is advised.
We have picked out a few of the best cat food products on the market today for helping your cat gain some weight. Hopefully, one of them will prove to be a good choice for you.
You have seen our top choices for cat food that will give your cat the boost it needs to gain weight the healthy way. Now it is time to choose a diet for your pet that will help it regain a healthy weight and enjoy a longer, more active life. Remember that not all cats are the same.
If your cat happens not to like what you got it, just try another one from the above list. Eventually, you will find something that your cat loves. Malnourished and under-weight cats will usually be less lively. So be sure to get the best food for a healthy and happy cat.