Part of choosing the right diet for your cat involves picking out the right cat food bowl. The differences in bowls can affect your cat’s health, happiness and longevity.
The kind of dish you put your cat’s food in has some short-term and long-term effects that you may not realize. That’s why we want to help you choose the best bowl for your feline friend and show you some of the better bowls on the market.
Quick Look: Top 3 Picks
|Brand||PetFusion Premium||Vivi Pet Cat Dining Table||UPSKY Double Dog Cat Bowls|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
What to Consider Before You Buy a Cat Food Bowl
Before you buy a bowl for your cat, there are a few factors we want you to consider that will help you make a smarter, healthier purchase:
- Size of the bowl- If you buy a large bowl, you are more likely to fill it for your cat, feeding it more than it actually needs. Your cat is better off with small portion sizes that allow it to have a leaner, healthier diet.
- Quality- You want a bowl that is going to last, and that will be worth what you invest into it. That’s why it is important to consider customer reviews and professional reviews to see what other people’s experiences have been like with the bowl you are considering to purchase.
- Materials- What is the bowl made of? If it is made of plastic or aluminum, then it could be something that your cat is allergic to. There is no solid evidence to point to cats being allergic to either of these materials, but many people and dogs are. Many animal specialists point out that if you have a sensitive cat that does have some allergy problem, it is best not to risk it.
- Easy to Clean- Some types of materials and bowl designs will be easier to clean than others. If there are ridges or other protrusions in the bowl, then it may be tough to get all the food out when you clean the bowl, and that may be something to take into consideration as well.
What to Avoid
You want to be careful about buying just any kind of bowl for your cat. This is an important decision you have to make, and there are certain mistakes people make when buying cat food bowls that we want to help you avoid.
- Cheap Materials- If you buy a cat food bowl that is made from low quality materials, not only will it potentially break down quickly, but when it does, it could injure your cat. Cheap materials could lead to the bowl splintering or chipping as the cat eats, and your cat could ingest those pieces or be cut by them.
- Bowls with Holes- Buying a cat food bowl with spaces or holes in it may be an aesthetically pleasing choice, but it makes it difficult to feed your cat any wet food. Even dry food can become a problem as it can get stuck in the holes or small pieces of it can fall through and create a mess. Most cat food bowls don’t have any spaces, but you might be surprised at some of the things people will put their cat’s food into.
- Too Shallow or Too Deep- Your cat should be able to comfortably eat from the bowl, so if it is too deep or too shallow, it may not be able to reach its food easily. This can frustrate your cat or cause it to make a mess, and either way, you or your cat will be unhappy. The wrong size of bowl could also lead to whisker fatigue, which in turn leads to irritability.
- Noisy Bowls- Your cat may be irritated by loud noises, and if you give it a metal bowl on a hard surface, then it can make a lot of noise as the cat is eating. That may make your cat unwilling to eat its food.
Now that you know what you should be looking for when you shop for cat food bowls, let’s show you a few of the best ones on the market today.
Vivi Pet Cat Dining Table
If you are looking to pamper your pet, then this is a good option. It offers elevated bowls, tilted angles for easier feeding and an aesthetically pleasing look that fits with most modern style interiors.
There is a tray on the side of the table that allows you to grow grass, store some toys or even put water for your cat. While many cats will be happy with the elevated design, others will want their food on the floor. The price tag is also a bit high when compared to other options, but that’s due to the stylish design and modern aesthetic.
- Sophisticated, contemporary design.
- Offers much more than simple serving bowls.
- Kind of expensive.
- Not all cats are going to love the setup.
In this article we’ve showed you some of the best options available for cat food bowls. Covering a range of price points, we hope that this information helps you as you try to find a bowl that works for your cat. You want your cat to be comfortable, but you may also want something stylish and aesthetically pleasing.
Well, you can have both! Even though your cat may not like the bowl you get at first, there are some great choices on this list. Just try another one. You will definitely find one that your cat likes, and that suits the home you live in as well.