Best Calming Aid for Cats
An agitated cat can be tough to deal with, but thankfully, there are some ways you can calm it down without putting it in danger. We want to show you a few of the best products for treating agitated cats and what you should look for as you try to shop for calming aids for your cat.
Risk and Causes of Agitation
There are a number of reasons why your cat can become agitated and worked up. If you take your cat on an airplane, car ride or bus ride, it may become agitated and do everything it can to get away from that environment. It can scratch and bite and hiss as it grows increasingly agitated, and you need to do something about it.
An agitated cat is likely to hurt itself and others. It may destroy property, cause injury and make life miserable for everyone around it. Plus, that kind of agitation is not good for your cat’s physical, emotional and metal health.
The ASPCA (American Society for the prevention of Cruelty to Animals) notes that old age can bring with it changes in behavior. These are often due to mental problems and physical disabilities. Be advised that in any case of severe agitation and major behavior changes, you should take your cat to the veterinarian.
Quick Look: Top 3 Picks
|Brand||Elite Cat Calm Advanced All Natural Calming Aid||ThunderEase Multicat Calming Pheromone Diffuser Kit||NaturVet Quiet Moments Cat Calming Aid Supplements|
|Our Take||Best Price||Best Overall||Editor’s Choice|
What to Consider Before You Buy Any Calming Aids for Cats
There is a wide range of products out there that are designed to help you soothe your cat’s mood and calm its nerves. As you try to find the right product for your cat, you ought to keep a few things in mind:
- Quality- Sort through the myriad of the low-quality items by choosing something that has a recognizable brand name and a reputation for high quality merchandise. Look at reviews to see how well the product worked and how long it lasts to get an idea of its level of quality.
- Price- There are some great calming aids for cats that are not very expensive. Don’t think that the most expensive products are necessarily the ones that are most worthwhile. Price often has little to do with value and effectiveness. At the same time, try to avoid going with the cheapest option just because of the price. Most important is the effectiveness of the product, rather than the cost.
- Health Issues- Agitation and behavior change in your cat may not be something you can fix by just purchasing a calming aid. It could be a medical issue that needs to be addressed directly. Talk to your veterinarian before you try to self-medicate your cat.
- Age- It is common for cats to become agitated and change their behavior drastically as they get older. This could be a sign of a mental problem or it could simply be that they are suffering from physical issues you may not be aware of. Just know that you can expect your aging cat to give you some trouble from time to time. You’ll want to buy calming aids and have them at hand, just in case you need to deal with an older cat.
What to Avoid
Some products will be dangerous for your cat or simply won’t be effective, and you need to know what they are and then avoid them.
- Collars– Most pet collars used as calming aids for cats have not been thoroughly tested and proven to be safe for cats. There are numerous reports of cats slipping the collar partially off their neck and choking on it as it wraps around their jaw. There are better, safer ways to keep your cat calm than to use one of these collars.
- Strongly-Scented Diffusers- The majority of diffusers contain unscented formulas that don’t bother cats at all. If the diffuser uses a scented oil though, that can agitate your cat or prove unpleasant for you or your animal over time. It is advised to use gentle diffuser scents.
- Disreputable Sources- Not all calming aids come from manufacturers that you can trust. It’s best to go with something that has a good and solid reputation. Also, be careful about buying over the internet and having it shipped to you internationally. You may be buying a product manufactured by a company that is not known locally and doesn’t have a good reputation.
We would like to show you some of our top picks for calming aids for cats. Our hope is that you will find one that is suitable for your feline.
These were some general guidelines for finding the right calming aid, together with our top choices for calming products for your cat. We hope you feel informed enough so that you can make a smart decision when it comes to shopping for your cat and dealing with its agitation.
Don’t wait until your cat is upset to try and find something to calm it down. Purchase ahead of time, so that you can be prepared for those unpleasant situations. Remember that a calm cat is a happy one, and a happy cat can be the best companion ever!